75100385

I have been accused of a crime within the Air Cadet Organisation

I have been accused of a crime within the Air Cadet Organisation as a potential staff member and it feels like slanderous comments. The body responsible for investigating the alleged crime has failed to even attempt to contact me for 3-4 months after the accusation was made. I then had to chase them up which took a further month of badgering to get a realistic response only to again be ignored.
After organising a fundraising event on remembrance Sunday for my local squadron, which I was a part of for 7 years as a cadet, asked me to help take back some of the equipment the next parade night. I assumed therefore that the issue had blown over and tried my best to not let it worry me going back for a single evening.
After I had no ill issues with the cadets on the squadron and the staff were having a good chat to me I attended again around a month later to give the some chocolate to them for their Christmas party and I was specifically asked if I was going to attend the party. I decided to and was then informed I had to leave when I got there as an email had been sent stating I was not allowed to be there. A letter was also sent to my address though no one from my area HQ telephoned me to confirm it as my details had changed.
After another month I had had enough and phoned my HQ again and was told that the investigation had never moved beyond the HQ of the Air Cadet Organisation, yet no one had any idea what had been happening for 7 months. I am now allowed to return to cadets under certain conditions if I wish to do so, however, I still have never received in writing or by telephone a description of my alleged offences and only heard rumours until the Christmas party when one of the cadets shares with me everything he had been told.
I was both shocked and disgusted by the lack of communication of the offences or of any information whatsoever and my self-esteem and confidence took a huge nose dive throughout the entire event and many relationships with people I've known for years are gone as a result of the lack of progress the ACO has had in this case and I was wondering what I can actually do about the slander which has occurred.
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

For now please let me know whether the Air Cadets have a set procedure and policy for dealing with disciplinary matters?

Customer: Yes they do have a set procedure. First of all a statement is made by all of the parties involved and then this is usually the basis for any information. However, I was never contacted to make any form of statement
Alex Watts :

Does that procedure say who you can go to if things go wrong?

Customer: Not really, I could make an official complaint I just wanted to know legally where I stand and what action I can take
Alex Watts :

In terms of action sadly you and they have to follow the procedure.

Alex Watts :

You can't sue anyone sadly

Alex Watts :

But they need to follow their documented process.

Alex Watts :

If they do not then they are in breach of their own rules and action can be taken.

Alex Watts :

The organisation should have some sort of management structure.

Alex Watts :

If so ir should set out who you complain to and it escalates the matter.

Alex Watts :

But you just need to go higher and higher under the process until you achieve a satisfactory result.

Alex Watts :

But legally you can not make them do or not do anything

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and it is certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :

Customer: That's absolutely fine thank you very much for your time. I just needed an honest legal opinion on what to do next. Thank you very much and have a nice day
Alex Watts :

Happy to help. If I could invite you to rate my service before you go today, the button should be at the bottom of the screen

Alex Watts :

If you need more help please click reply

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience