Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

/Madam I am writing to you regarding joining family?

Customer Question

Dear sir/Madam
I am writing to you regarding joining family? My father died unexpectedly and my mum,@ 80 years old, has dementia and can't leave on her own, (my father use to look after her). How I will bring her in UK. I do have full British passport, but at the moment I do not work I have 3 children (7,6,2yrs old). Mum currently leaving in Croatia. She has no property on her own but she earn small pension. Is there any chance to bring her in UK.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Alex J. :

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I wll assist you. Croatia is a member of EU since the 1 July 2013.

Alex J. :

If your mother is a Croatian national she does not need a visa or permission to enter the UK and live here.

Alex J. :

She may need to register with the UK Border Agency if she intends to work here.

Alex J. :

Can you provide any further information? Kind regards AJ

JACUSTOMER-rgav0bro- :

Dear AJ Not quite sure you answered my question because in my e-mail I state that she is 80 years old and has dementia so she will need someone to live with and I am currently unemployed? Can she live with me? It is obvious that she will not work here. Could you please re read my question.

JACUSTOMER-rgav0bro- :

Kind regard

JACUSTOMER-rgav0bro- :

already send replay

Alex J. :

Hi, Thank you. Yes there is no reason she cannot live with you. Do you privately rent or own your own accommodation?

JACUSTOMER-rgav0bro- :

privately renting

Alex J. :

Hi, Thank you. There is no reason you cannot invite her to come and reside in your home permanently. If she is a citizen of an EU country she is entitled to enter the UK and entitled to come and live with you.

Alex J. :

You may need to check with your landlord that you can have another person residing in the property.

JACUSTOMER-rgav0bro- :

thank you

Alex J. :

Did you have a specific concern?

Alex J. :

Around her staying with you?

JACUSTOMER-rgav0bro- :

can she get health carre

Alex J. :

You may also want to consider obtaining a Lasting Power of Attorney from her when she arrives so you can make financial and medical decisions on her behalf.

Alex J. :

She will need to register with a GP, which she can do once she has a permanent address.

JACUSTOMER-rgav0bro- :

Alex J. :

She will only be able to obtain health care once she is registered with a GP. Otherwise she will have to bring a European Health Insurance Card with her.

JACUSTOMER-rgav0bro- :

thank you

Alex J. :

Note if she does not have a European Health Insurance Card, she may be charged until she has proved that she is a permanent resident here and registered with a GP