Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

,I own a leasehold flat and the freehold was sold without

I own a leasehold flat and the freehold was sold without my or the other two flat owners knowledge to the owner of the restaurant on the ground floor.
In four years I have received no demand for ground rent/insurance. What is the best way to rectify this please without stirring the hornets nest?
Eleanor Willers
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hello Eleanor and thanks for using Just Answer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
Well, legally a Freeholder has the right to recoup the last 6 years worth of ground rent/insurance contributions- any sums owing for a period of over 6 years can not be claimed.
I would therefore keep quiet, and perhaps save 6 years worth of rent/insurance so if it is ever demanded, you have it there.
However, in respect of the insurance, I would probably want some assurance that your property is indeed satisfactorily insured. You are entitled to ask to see a copy of the up to date Buildings Insurance schedule, but I will leave it to you as to whether you wish to make this request, bearing in mind you may receive a demand for payment.
I hope this assists and sets out the legal position.
Kind Regards
Al