Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My lender is trying to charge me his solicitor's fees

My lender is trying to charge me his solicitor's fees for arranging for a DS1 to go to the Land Registry. Is this legal? Surely he's under a legal duty to remove the charge?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
I take it that your Lender is a private individual?
Do you have your own Solicitor acting for you?
I look forward to hearing from you.
Al
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes the lender is an individual and I am represented

Thanks for your reply.
Well, it would not be normal or usual for you to have to pay an admin fee for the Lender's Solicitor to submit the DS1 to the Land Registry.
Indeed, the respective Solicitors should be agreeing that upon receipt of the funds from your Solicitor, the Lender's Solicitor will undertake to forward the signed DS1 to your Solicitor. This is because it would be normally down to the Borrower's Solicitor to then lodge the DS1 at the Land Registry (no fee is payable to the Land Registry for this application).
(Depending on the Solicitors, it is also quite normal for the Borrower's Solicitor to actually prepare the DS1 so all the Lender has to do is to get it signed).
Your Solicitor should therefore be insisting that this is what is done and refrain from agreeing to pay any fee to the Lender's Solicitor.
I hope this assists you and sets out the general legal position.
Kind Regards
Al