12826847

my boyfriend got a 27 months case of 25 years ago which

Customer Question

my boyfriend got a 27 months for a case of 25 years ago which he didn't commit. when I got incontact with victory housing I was told he had to terminate his tenancy, which we did with a signed letter from him . I then found out as long as the rent was paid he didn't have to do that so I put a letter together and he sign it but they are saying he can't now retract the termination. They say this is legally binding even though on the phone they told me to get a letter signed by him this would make it ok. also I feel what i was told was incorrect please help
Are you asking if he can retract the termination?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes so he can keep his home

I am not sure I can give you good news.
The simple answer is that he cannot. If he has terminated then he has terminated. There is no way around it.
In fact, the information you have been given isn't entirely inaccurate. Had he been in privately rented accommodation then he could have kept his home as long as he kept paying. If this is social accommodation though then even if he was paying they would have sought to recover it had they found out it was unoccupied. There is so much pressure on social housing that they would not have wanted it to stand empty whether or not there was a paying tenant.
I imagine that their point was that if he terminated they would not evict him which would mean he could be rehoused more easily when he returns.
It depends on the nature of his occupation.
On your main point though, if he has terminated then he has terminated. You could complain to them that this was a misrepresentation but if they dig their heels in then it would change nothing I'm afraid.
Sorry if that is bad news.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank-you for your help even though it wasn't what i wanted to hear at least i know they were telling the truth and now i

we can move on from this

No problem and all the best.
Please remember to rate my answer.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.