UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My son is on bail awaiting to see if he will charged with the

My son is on bail awaiting to see if he will charged with the discovery of images found on hus computer. He does not get the answer to this until August. His tenancy on his flat is up for renewal in July, it would be a years renewal with myself as guarantor. If we renew the tenancy and he is subsequently charged, can he be evicted?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.

Him being charged has nothing to do with his tenancy. If he is not in breach of his tenancy, I do not see why he would be evicted.

Eviction is always a long process which must go through the court process and any tenant is always at risk of being evicted if they refuse to move out when the landlord wants them to move out.

May I help further?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have checked his tenancy agreement and there is something about being in breach of certain sections of the housing act, one of which mentions being arrested for illegal activity, but I'm not sure what this means. The police have intimated that his age, the fact he has never been in trouble with them, his willingness to get help etc may all count towards him being charged with a lesser offence, a shorter custodial or even a suspended sentence. Basically the concern is that we sign the agreement in July before he is charged, he then gets a sentence of sone kind, this is possibly reported to the landlord (can this happen?) and he is evicted.....

Who is the landlord?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Its a local propety company acting on behalf of an unspecified landlord. The company is called Dunson Properties Ltd.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is that enough information?

It is a private landlord and the landlord will not be told by the police of the decision to charge your son as that is not the landlord's problem.

Obviously if your son is put in custody and leaves the property unoccupied, the landlord could then take steps to end the tenancy.

All the best
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If he is in custody but I visit the property and maintain its upkeep etc, without revealing anything about where my son is then would the landlord still need to be informed?

You may choose not to inform the landlord.

All the best. Please leave feedback