12826847

On October 5th My father who is 82 years old went into

Customer Question

On October 5th My father who is 82 years old went into hospital. His wife asked for his credit card to pay a bill which he subsequently gave her together with his pin number. Probably not a sensible thing to do however, He had to stay in hospital until January 7th.
His wife my step-mother who is 80 didn't visit often because he had a urine infection and was in an isolated room. At Christmas she told him she had taken £2000 out of his account. He asked for my Fathers bank statements which would have been sent to the house while he was in hospital and was told that they had been given to a social worker who was sorting out her finances.
When he came out of hospital on January 7th my Husband was told by her that she had taken the money and put it in a box in case my Father needed any money when he came out.
Due to a half leg amputation he can no longer live in the bungalow which they bought together. She is remaining in the bungalow whilst he has moved into a flat.
The house is another issue which I'll address later.
On the 5th February My father got bank statements from his bank dating back to beginning of October, November, December and January. We have discovered that
£4500 in cash has been taken out in payments of £300. There were four £300 in November the most being taken out in December when the card was used to take out £300 on seven occasions over the period of the month and then again in the beginning of January another £550.
We suspect the money has been taken out by other family members. We haven't yet established if my stepmother only had the £2000 in which case the other money has been taken by others.
My question is what is the best way to proceed before we ask my step mother just how much she had. In my opinion, on the one hand my father was not sensible giving his card and pin number but on the other hand I feel it is theft.
Can you please advise the best way to proceed.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Best regards
Jayne Ives
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We would like to know the best way to proceed with this.

Jayne

To achieve what specifically?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is it a police matter or is there some way we can put pressure on them to get the money back.? It's one thing if his wife has had it but it's another thing if other members of the family have abused his card which I have a feeling is what has happened.

It is a police matter. If you are saying that they have stolen funds from his account then that is a crime.
You can also sue to recover although he would have to identify the culprit. Since his wife had the card though that should be easy enough to achieve.
It would be easy enough to ascertain how much has been taken from his account and if he was in hospital at that time then it could not have been him.
The police should act upon it. I cannot think of any reason they would not. If they can turn up and prosecute people for assault every time they breathe on their partners then there should be no justification for refusing involvement in the removal of £2k without permission.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your response it's as I thought.

Jayne

No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/