Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

Converting extended garage into rooms to let

Customer Question

We’re considering building rooms to let in Bearwood area within Bournemouth. Currently a 3 bed detached property. The house has a garage on the side, next to back garden. The garage is already extended to the front of the house, ie length of 3 cars. We’re looking to build rooms in place of the garage. We haven’t undertaken such a project before, so we’ve several questions.

How many rooms are permitted to be built? And can they be on two floors or ground floor only?

What would be the expected build cost?

What would be the likely income?

How/where can we find demand for different property types? And what’s favourable in terms of ROI? (HMOs, student lets, let to hospital staff, contractors, other)

What type of room is favourable in terms of ROI and maintenance costs? (standard rooms? En-suite rooms? Other?)

What are the steps in order they need to be undertaken? (getting a plan from architecture, obtaining planning permission, getting a builder)

What are the legal requirements? (energy performance, electrical, health and safety, etc)

Where/how can be find reputable resources (builders, architectures, etc) who provide good and reliable service at reasonable a reasonable cost)

How much of the cost is needed upfront?

Can the rooms be built and let one at a time, ie a staggered building approach to allow the work to start earlier instead of waiting for sufficient funds to be saved/raised?

Anything else we need to consider that we may not be aware of or have missed to consider?

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Plumberpro :

Hi , what questions do you have . if you clarify a bit , people may come in if thgeyvhave the answers , ie are they structural , planning etc

JACUSTOMER-3ba10ug2- :

I've presented a list of questions!

Plumberpro :

My apologies , I didn't scroll down far enough .all the best

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Nicola, please leave open.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can close this question and return your good faith deposit to the original funding source on request.
Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
I hope you will give JustAnswer a try again in the future,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Please leave open until there's an answer.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if at any point you would like a refund.