Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My father has made a will. I am one of 6 siblings and the only

Customer Question

My father has made a will. I am one of 6 siblings and the only one who has lived with him permanently.
In the will my father has made me the trustee and sole inheritor of his estate and also mentioned my eldest brother to whom he paid a large sum of money.
My father has informed me that I should give some money to my sisters. Two of my sisters have freehold properties, my brothers are financially well off. This was the reason my father left me the house.
The house is probably valued at 350,000 approximately.
When my father passes away, who by the way, is of sound mind, can my siblings contest the will?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Provided your Father was of sound mind when he made his Will (which it appears he was), then a party can not contest a Will.

A party can make a claim against an Estate IF they were financially dependent on the deceased or the deceased had in some fashion promised the party a share in his Estate and that party had, upon reliance of that promise, done something to his detriment (eg given up their own home and gone to look after the deceased).

Neither of these scenarios appear to be relevant here, and therefore, from what you have told me, none of your siblings would have a chance of making a claim against your Father's Estate.

I hope this helps and sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards

Al

Hi Sam,

Can I assist you any further?

Kind Regards
Al

Hi Sam,

Can I be of any more assistance to you?

Kind Regards
Al