Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

job offer and background check

Customer Question

job offer and background check
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. What would you like to know about this?

JACUSTOMER-8xrmdc9c- :

the question is not complete.

JACUSTOMER-8xrmdc9c- :

Please find the complete question:

JACUSTOMER-8xrmdc9c- :

thank you to have given me a free week trial.

I have another question:

1. I have put on my cv a job title for the first period of employment ( 3 months) ( ie. Project management support/ Business analyst)

2. after this period i have added another job title THAT REPRESENT THE REAL JOB I HAVE DONE (Project manager/Business analyst)

3. i have received an offer that is subject to the positive verification fo the following points:

- proof of the right to work in UK ( i am EU citizen -so i am ok)

- receipt of a background check that may include:

• an identity check ok

• adverse financial no problems

• basic criminal records idem as above

• and driving licence check i have EU licence and not uk, however they can check and i have only penalties to park in not allowed areas

the first four point above are written in the offer

However they also ask references to the last two employers to see if what i declare corresponds to what the employers declare.

scenario:

I have written down the title Project support/Business analyst because i know that my current employer will declare this.

Every other information required will matches ( dates of employment etcetera).

Question:

if have written on the CV that the current role is Project manager/BA

and I have declared on the form that the role is Project management support/Business analyst.( confirmed)

ALL THE OTHER CONDITIONS ARE CONFIRMED AND POSITIVE

What are the consequences of this kind of differences for the validity of the background check and therefore for the Offer, if any?

Customer:

so it's just the job title that is incorrect on the CV?

JACUSTOMER-8xrmdc9c- :

yes.From my point of view it represents the real job i have done. For internal politics one pM had to be in charge but the size of the project aksed my role as expert to help him. So i felt that it was right to put it into the cy.

Customer:

I cannot imagine it will cause you a problem, it is unlikely the new employer will even pick up on it. The background check is more likely to be on the issue of whether you have the right to work in the UK

JACUSTOMER-8xrmdc9c- :

but it included the references. When i was speaking with the internal recruiter asking info about the form to fill, she told me that for her it was urgent that i could finish the form because she needed: credit check and the references.

Customer:

Ok it may be that they will cross reference the job title but I think it is unlikely. You can explain the reason for it anyway.

JACUSTOMER-8xrmdc9c- :

if we consider the position of an HR manager, could he interpret this missed cross reference as an extension of the background check?

Customer:

potentially he could decide that you have been dishonest and withdraw your offer employment on that basis. I think that it is unlikely.

JACUSTOMER-8xrmdc9c- :

on what legal basis?

Customer:

An offer of employment can be withdrawn for any reason whatsover unfortunately. It is simply that, an offer. There is no contract in place until employment commences and even then there are limited rights in the first 2 years of employment.

JACUSTOMER-8xrmdc9c- :

i see.

JACUSTOMER-8xrmdc9c- :

I need to add another info: after signing the offer, they sent me the contract to be signed off and i returned it. My starting date will be on the 2nd of March.does this make any difference?

Customer:

No until the contract starts the offer could be withdrawn. But as I have already said this is unlikely.

JACUSTOMER-8xrmdc9c- :

ok. is it a common practice ask to the employee explanation about this difference if all the other conditions are satisfied ?

Customer:

No it is unlikely they will notice and even if they do many people slightly embelish job titles and experience.

JACUSTOMER-8xrmdc9c- :

So in your opinion this is not a heavy difference.then.

Customer:

I do not think that it will unduly concern them but cannot guarantee it will not.

JACUSTOMER-8xrmdc9c- :

thank you.

Customer:

no problem, I hope it works out. I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer and do come back to me in the future if you need to.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just to inform you that the background check went well and i have been hired.

Thank you for your support.

Luca

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
No problem. Glad it's worked out!