Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I stayed at a hotel venue at the weekend unfortunately i tripped

Customer Question

I stayed at a hotel venue at the weekend unfortunately i tripped on my handbag handle lost my balance and ended up falling and breaking the tv in the room. I told the hotel about it straight away, they have now sent me a invoice for 398 pounds for the replacement of the tv, the tv they want to now put in the room is a 32"SAMSUNG, the tv I damaged was a phillips 26". please can you tell me where I stand legally.
deborah
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Alex J. :

Alex J. :

Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

Alex J. :

Did the hotel place your bag in this position in the room?

JACUSTOMER-voq1geh5- :

hi no i placed the bag on the floor and it was totally an accident that the incident occured

Alex J. :

Hi, Thank you. Legally you are responsible for any damage you caused to the property. You are there under licence and therefore responsible for the damage caused. I agree that you would have grounds to say that you only need to replace the goods on a like for like basis so the first point to note - do you know what the cost of a Phillips 26 inch is?

Alex J. :

What I would recommend you do is the following:

Alex J. :

Any hotel will probably be reluctant to chase this because of the cost involved and it is bad PR to sue guests.

Alex J. :

I would write to them as follows:

Alex J. :

(i) Say that you do not deny that you accidentally tripped over and damaged the TV;

Alex J. :

(ii) Say that you believe the hotel should share some of the responsibility because they clearly have not provided adequate storage for your bags and if they had you would not have left them on the floor

Alex J. :

(iii) I would then say to them as a gesture of goodwill you will contribute £x (what ever you think is far say £100) on the basis that you cannot accept full responsibility for this and what they are trying to charge you is not a like for like replacement.

Alex J. :

I would be very surprised if they continue to chase you - I would try and settle the matter as quickly as possible.

JACUSTOMER-voq1geh5- :

thank you, ***** ***** i have more or less done, i cant find out the price of the tv because it is old and now not available. i have phoned evey hotel tv supplier to find out. now waiting for the manager to call me back. thank you for our help

Alex J. :

Hi, Thank you. If they wont be reasonable about it then I would just complaint to Trading Standards

www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/

JACUSTOMER-voq1geh5- :

ok thank you. have a good day

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your kind feedback.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can assist any further.
AJ