12826847

As an employee of a retail outlet on teesside retail park can

As an employee of a retail outlet on teesside retail park can i be made to park in the
rear service road instead of the car park.
thanks.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Employees at the retail outlet where i work are being told we cannot park in the retail park car park.We are being told to park behind the store on the H.G.V. service road.This is not from the company but from park management.The service road no street lighting and some of my working days finish at 9 o,clock,there is also no rear access available to the store.We are being given no parking notices if we get three the park says they are going to take further action.

This is nothing to do with your employment contract. This is to do with your use of private land.
The landowners are the landowners and can dictate the way in which you park unless their conditions are entirely unreasonable, falling foul of UCTA, or offend against the Equal Opportunities legislation.
In practice, I'm afraid that would mean they almost certainly could do this. Their signing may not be adequate at this stage but that is something they can correct.
I'm very sorry but that is your position.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks what do the letters UCTA mean.

Unfair Contract Terms Act. It has to be something like demanding a pound of your flesh though before it offends. Demanding you park elsewhere wouldn't offend I'm afraid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do the landowners carry any responsibility if instructing people to park there.

No.
At least, they have the same duty to restrict risks as anybody else but they would cover things like manholes left open or clear hazards.
The absence of lighting is not a risk within the meaning of negligence.