LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

In January 2013 I purchased a brand new house, 1 of 2 built.

In January 2013 I purchased a brand new house, 1 of 2 built. To gain access to my property I need to use a parcel of land that I do not own, it is owned by the builder. I do have all the necessary access permissions, so there is no problem there. But the other new property has only just been sold, and I have just found out that the builder and owner of this parcel of land is going to sell/give this land to the purchaser of the remaining new house. If this happens and the access parcel of land changes hands does all the stipulations in my deeds (which are marked, cross hatch blue), the size, shape, position & restrictions i.e. no parking, stand?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

It sounds a if yo may have been granted an easement (in this case a right of way) over the neighboring property here. If that is the case then the right attaches to the freehold interest of your land and burdens the land yo use for access . It is not a personal right, so a change in ownership will not affect your rights.

Customer:

So does this mean that the new owner can not change the size/shape of the access land, as i believe he wants to change it to give him more parking space?

LondonlawyerJ :

No, he can alter his land, but he can not do so in way that interferes with your right of way.

Customer:

If he did alter the shape/size, what happens to the specific area cross hatch in blue on my deeds will this need to be amended to show the change?