75100385

When selling a property, it is required you fill in a Declaration/disclosure

Customer Question

When selling a property, it is required you fill in a Declaration/disclosure Form - if the person fails to disclose there have been 3 disputes in the past that have not been documented in the declaration - is this an offense?
Where does one stand legally regarding redress rights and to whom would you make the complaint against?
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

Can you please explain your situation a little more?

JACUSTOMER-bujsdkil- :

Before purchasing my property at Auction I asked my solicitor to check the legal pack for me, there were no disputes detailed on the declaration form. However there were three disputes over the rear conservatory that were not disclosed. This has caused nearly 3 years of dispute - do I have any redress and who is legally responsible for this failure?

JACUSTOMER-bujsdkil- :

But is it a legal requirement?

Alex Watts :

It is a legal requirement - no

Alex Watts :

It is a contractual requirement - therefore they would be in breach of contract.

Alex Watts :

But if they did not then it would not be considered illegal.

Alex Watts :

Does that clarify the position?

Alex Watts :

It also seems breach of contract and you can sue the seller

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/