Locked by Customer Service

Customer Question

Hello, I got married in the Seychelles in May 2013, since then I never lived with my wife. Due to the kind of work I do, I didn't have time to fix the divorce, and we both agreed to try to get a divorce via an british website, I payed all the solicitor costs, but finally when the papers arrived I saw that she tries to get money from me. Since we never lived on the same adress, and I find myself a new girlfriend just a few months after the wedding, can she even ask for anything from me? She is British, I am Dutch, and that Seychelles marriage document is not even recognised in my country, and I never signed any other paper for it in the UK. So basically my question is, is she intitled to get anything from me?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** *****
What makes you think that she is asking for money from you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Claire,

Thank You for Your help.

We decided to get divorced via this site:

I payed to whole amount of the divorce fees, and when I get the paper where actually my wife is petitioning for divorce, there is a section with this text (where she crossed it √):

Financial Order (if you wish to make an application for a Financial Order)

(a) That the petitioner my be granted the following Financial Orders:

an order for maintenance pending suit/outcome

periodical payments order

secured provision order

lump sum order

property adjustment order

order under section 24B, 25B or 25C of the Matrimonial causes Act of 1973/paragraph 15, 25 or 26 of Schedule 5 to the Civil Partnership Act of 2004 (Pension Sharing/Attachment Order) or section 25F or section 21B of the 1973 Act or paragraph 19B or paragraph 34A of the 2004 Act (Pension Compensation Sharing/Attachment Orders)

She already signed the paper, only waiting for my signature, but I don't want to pay anything, because there's no need for that since we never lived together.

She also put a long letter called Additional information where she writes a whole bunch of lies that I cheated and stuff like that, but we were already broken up and I moved on with my life like she did.

Is it legal to ask for money from me? Since I already payed the whole divorce fee, I don't agree with this whole Financial Order that she put in, so I won't sign it.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
In fact she is not actually asking you for money.
Ticking those boxes means that it is easier in future to apply for an Order dismissing all financial claims you have against each other.
The allegations that she makes have to be made if you want a divorce - and all those boxes need to be ticked to ensure that matters can be brought to a swift and final conclusion
Please ask if you need further details
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.