12826847

my son who has just turned 18, sent some texts to a girl

Customer Question

Hi my son who has just turned 18, sent some texts to a girl including a nude photo when he was 17, the police came the other day and asked if they could speak with him about this, he was out, so they have asked if he can go and speak with them, it turns out the girl was 14 or 15 and was flirting with him, they have not met up this was all on line, what should he do.
Did she tell him her age?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am not to sure, he said he can't remember

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jo, my name is ***** ***** worried father

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hello ?

Will she give evidence?
Has he upset her?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have no idea, I don't know how the police got informed, I suspect her parents have looked at her phone and seen this, but that's my guess, I don't think the girl was offended from what I could see, she was flirting with him a fair bit, it looked pretty much two way.

Is it possible that you could get him to look at this? I will really need more information than this to tell you what to expect reliably.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We dont have any further information.

Him and this girl exchanged some txts, I think they call them sexts, he was 17 at the time, she we believe is 14 or 15, he can't remember if he asked her age or not, and the police want to question him on this

Well, there is no way around that. If they want to question him then his only option is to comply. If he doesn't they will just come and arrest him probably at 6am one day when he has other plans.
He needs to get a solicitor to make an appointment for him to attend voluntarily in their presence for interview. The police will be perfectly happy with that. It is far less labour intensive for them if people surrender voluntarily.
What he should do at the interview depends on factors that will only really be known at the station. They probably intend offering a caution but that is not a good deal unless he would be convicted at court. There could be lots of evidential issues here. The pictures might not identify him. The phone might not link to him. He may not have known her age etc.