UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
66967392

My friend is an Ethiopian National married to a German National.

My friend is an Ethiopian National married to a German National. She already has a German spouse visa and has recently received her German ID residence card (Aufenthaltserlaubnis) which enables her to live and work in Germany. Her 2 year old son is a full German national with a German passport.
She has visited me twice before in the UK on a Visitor visa. Does she still need a Visitor Visa now or is the German ID card sufficient to travel here?
Also, is she eligible to work in the UK? She is allowed to work in Germany (the card states ERWERBSTÄTIGKEIT GESTATTET - employment permitted)
Owen
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello - yes please keep searching. I suppose I need someone who know about UK visa requirements in relation to EU identity cards

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for your question, I will be happy to help you today.
1. Yes you friend would still require a visa to visit the UK, the Home Office look at the nationality of a person , not their rights to live in another country. Therefor for the UK she will still be a Ethiopian national and would require a visa to visit.
2. No she is unable to work in the UK, she will require permission from the home office to do so. It would be better for her to obtain german citizenship and then work in the UK.
I hope this answers your question if however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please do not hesitate to ask further questions until you are satisfied with my answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

But aren't EU Identify Cards valid across the EU, including the UK? My understanding is that these cards are technically valid to enter the UK but in practice airlines etc. are reluctant to accept them for fear of Home Office fines. Is that correct? I read that the cards are valid if accompanied by an EU family permit?

I'd be grateful if you could clarify these technical points.

Owen

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, what you are stating is correct is respect of other EU countries, but the UK is different and does not come under the same interpretation regarding EU cards.
Although the UK is unable to put any restrictions on entering for EU nationals the home office would not allow a non EU national to enter even with their EU national partner , UNLESS the non EU national is residing in the UK and wishes to join the EU national in the UK, on this basis they would be issued with an EEA family permit. But if the non-EU national is visiting the UK and is accompanied by the EU national then they would not be allowed entry to the UK.
I hope this clarifies the matter.
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience: I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.