75100385

I have written a book based on my career as an ambulance officer

I have written a book based on my career as an ambulance officer and submitted the manuscript and photographs to a publishing firm called XLibris. They started off by being very proactive and I have paid by instalments £3,030 They are now saying that they have not received any material from me even though I sent it by Royal Mail Recorded Delivery ref AE127652286GB on 19th December 2014. Their Author Services Representative is Angelica Kinsley and the address I sent the documents to is Victory Way, Admirals Park , Crossways, Dartford DA2 6QD. I am growing increasingly concerned about this, I sent a copy of the proof of delivery by Royal Mail and as yet have had no reply from Xlibris. Can you advise me with regard to my further actions
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : How did you pay the installments please?
Customer:

By order number XKWP3XRB5TN0000

Customer:

*****@******.***

Customer:

Publishing Package: Google Display Network-Supreme

Alex Watts :

Yes but how did you make those payments? Credit card, bank transfer?

Customer:

Credit Card

Alex Watts :

You need to speak to the credit Card company because you can dispute it. The card company are jointly liable under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act

Alex Watts :

You need to write to the book company and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

Alex Watts :

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Customer:

I am hopeful to settle this by receiving the publishing of my book as promised by Xlibris rather than claiming for their lack of progress. Since speaking to you I have had movement by a further representative of the publishing firm.

Alex Watts :

Yes indeed.

Alex Watts :

You have, that is good.

Alex Watts :

Remember the card company is jointly liable if there is any claim.

Alex Watts :

Customer:

Is it possible to check if Xlibris is a genuine publishing company ?

Alex Watts :

I will see if anything is public

Customer:

Alex Watts :

They appear to be a USA based company

Alex Watts :

They are listed as Xlibris LLC

Alex Watts :

That is a non UK company with their main address as:

Alex Watts : *****
Suite 200
Bloomington IN 47403
Alex Watts :

Sadly I can't see if they are genuine.

Customer:

I was asked by one of their representatives to send my manuscript and photographs to an address in Dartford, Kent

Alex Watts :

Yes they appear to be using a mailing address there.

Alex Watts :

But their main company is US registered

Customer:

I have been asked to check my manuscript which has been typed out by them and submit my findings plus a data entry release form. I began the process and have found several spelling mistakes so I feel that I must continue to hope that this is not a ploy to prolong my wait. I will close this conversation now and concentrate my efforts on this revision thank you for your help.

Alex Watts :

Yes indeed. But remember if there is ANYTHING wrong your card provider is liable too

Alex Watts :

You may be able to dispute the charge.

Alex Watts :

If this concludes our chat please can I ask you to rate my service before you go, the button should be at the bottom of the screen

Alex Watts :

If you need more help please click reply

Customer:

Thank you for that information