75100385

I was recently sent a private message on facebook of which

I was recently sent a private message on facebook of which is either slander or libel of a horrific nature which could have ruined my reputation and personal public standing if it had off gone to the wrong person. They sent an apology but didn't apologise in a direct way but rather said the same things again and sent it to others. Is this grounds for me to sue them as it has caused me great stress?
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

Was it a public or private message?

Alex Watts :

I assume it was only sent to you direct please?

Customer:

Yes it was via facebook

Customer:

privately

Alex Watts :

Was the message indecent?

Customer:

it said i was a racist peadophile and accused me of been such and that they would kill me if I touched their daughter. There was no truth, evidence to suggest such...we host exchange students and have done so for 8 years. Mostly girls but I wanted this one girl removed because she had made allegations that I was a racist, so I asked for her to be removed immediately and received a message shortly after from her father and then the email which was received by my wife which was supposed to be an apology but instead made the same references which was worded cleverly.

Alex Watts :

Sure, I understand that. Its bad news though I am afraid - if the message was sent direct to you and not published, it can not be slander or libel. In order for it to be that, it must be published. If it is not published then you do not have a claim. Even if it was published you would need to issue proceedings in the High Court and take it to trial would cost circa £15,000 or so.

Alex Watts :

As for any other offence sadly not.

Alex Watts :

It may be a nasty message but unless it is indecent then there is no offence under the Malicious communications Act.

Alex Watts :

To fall foul of that it must be grossly incident.

Alex Watts :

Some people just send horrid things but sadly there is no action here.

Alex Watts :

If they continue to send messages it could be harassment and an offence, but if it is the one message it is not

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Customer:

ok, well thank you..I just wanted to see if there was a case. Yes I totally understand, thanks for the advice.

Alex Watts :

Alex Watts :

I am sorry

Customer:

no thats fine. Thank you;-)

Alex Watts :

Please do try and rate again - thanks

Customer:

i will

Alex Watts :

Have a good weekend]

Alex Watts :