75100385

I have a sitting tenant who is asking me to repair a very old

I have a sitting tenant who is asking me to repair a very old Rayburn which supplies secondary hot water and cooking - they have an emersion heater and separate cooker plus storage heaters. I am obliged, legally, to repair the Rayburn?
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this
Alex Watts : Sadly yes
Alex Watts : If you provided it with the property then legally you need to repair
Alex Watts : If it was not in the property provided by you the the answer would be no
Alex Watts : I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you but I have a duty to be honest
Alex Watts : can I clarify anything for you about this today please ?
Customer:

what can the tenant do to enforce this - the rent is regulated and well below market rates. We have asked the tenant if we can reduce the size of their garden to sell off and generate funds for repairs but they have refused

Customer:

I would like to add that it is only the hot water function which needs repair, the Rayburn can still be used as a cooking appliance

Customer:

Please note that the tenant is subject to the 1977 LTA and that their tenancy started in April 1987. The tenancy agreement states that the tenant is liable for the repair of any fittings and appliances

Customer:

Sorry, this should have been LTA 1985, therefore, does section 11 apply to this tenancy as it is longer than 7 years?

Alex Watts :

Thank you for that. I had assumed it was an AST

Alex Watts :

If its not then NO you are not under a legal obligation

Alex Watts :

Its only if its an AST you are under a legal obligation

Alex Watts :

Does that clarift?

Alex Watts :

* clarify *

Customer:

Yes, thank you for that

Alex Watts :

Great. If I could ask you to rate my service before you go today, the button should be at the bottom of the screen

Alex Watts :

If you need more help please click reply

Customer:

Firstly, is there a way I can print this off for my records?

Alex Watts :

Once you rate then the format changes so you can print it

Alex Watts :

Does that help?