Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I contacted a...

Customer Question

I contacted a company to sell my business, I gave them a cheque for £600 plus 2 cheques for £1500 each, post dated 1 month and 2 months, In the meantime I had a company go bust on me, I asked them to hold the cheques for a 2 to 3 months as I was struggling to cover them, they cashed the first cheque 2 weeks later, this put me under a great deal of financial pressure, I then stopped the second cheque, I eventually paid the outstanding balance plus £250 interest. I have paid them £3850 and they say because I broke the agreement, they will not do anything about helping to sell the business. Is this right or have I got a case to claim some of my money back. Regards, ***** *****
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
Who paid the monies was it your company? Our you personally?
Did you sign any terms and conditions? What service did they actually agree to provide?
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

most of the money was paid by business but some I paid personally.

I signed an agreement, they are siting clause 11 paragraph[a] failing to pay the registration fee on the agreed date, which I had already explained my situation, I did not have the money to pay them. This all happened in august 2013 and I have only just got myself in a position to afford to finally pay the registration fee.

regards ***** *****

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
I have received this. I will prepare a response and post it in the morning.
AJ
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Firstly I would note you can only potentially claim back the money that was paid from you personally. As the company has gone bust any claim from that company would the responsibility of a liquidator.
Secondly when you paid this fee - did the company actually do any work? For example advertise your business for sale?
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I personally paid £1350 from my personal account,

The only indication I have that they have taken steps to sell my business is the fact a photographer came to take some pictures of the site, I have had no progress reports from RTA.

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately I am afraid you will have to consider that only £1350 will likely be recoverable, the rest will be a debt belonging to your limited company (unless this was not actually a limited company at all and you were a sole trader?).
IN any event I would try and claim back the whole sum as a start. What I would suggest is the following. Write a letter to the company as follows:
- Say that in your opinion the agreement is now terminated through no fault of your own;
- Say that any deposit payable was never described as non refundable (Please confirm that this is the case in the terms and conditions;
- Taking all the monies as a termination payment is nothing more than a penalty for termination which would be unenforceable under English Law;
- Say that they have not done any actually work to date other than take photographs which you will make a small contribution to as a gesture of good will (I think you would probably have to pay this any way if the matter went to court);
- Say that if they do not return the full balance of what you are owed you reserve the right to either a) Complain to Trading Standards www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/ b) Potenitally make a claim in county court https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome
If they do not response or ignore you, you will have to consider either suing them or complaining to Trading Standards. That said please bare in mind my first comment, being that I believe you will only be able to claim the monies paid from your personal account.
AJ
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience: Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** been very helpful, however I am not a limited company does this alter the situation I was under impression you thought that I was. regards Bill.

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
No problem.
We're you a sole trader?
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just one more question,I paid you £38 on the 17/02 I then paid you £7.50 tip on the 24/02 you also took £48 on the 24/02 what was this for,?I thought the £38 covered me for a month. regards ***** *****

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
The experts on the site do not administer any payment - I like you am a user that logs in, I am just verified as an expert to assist you. I cannot access any of your account details. Accordingly would you mind if I referred you to customer services to deal with this?
It may temporarily close the question?
Thank you kindly for your feedback and payment for my answer.
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I trade as partnership with my wife, who is a sleeping partner.

yes please do refer me to the customer services, and thank you have been very helpful. regards Bill Beal.