75100385

, I am hoping to launch a review-based website very soon

Hi, I am hoping to launch a review-based website very soon and need some clarification on the laws behind it. I will have a number of different companies listed in different categories for users to share their experiences about and the question I have is, do I need permission from these companies to list their names on my website or can I just list them? I will not be writing any defamatory comments about them, instead, I will only be listing their names, writing a description about their services and will have their contact details shown. In my T&C's, I will have disclaimers stating that the user reviews are not of my or my companies opinion and so on...
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

Are you using their logos or just the name please?

Customer:

It would depend on what I am allowed to do. If I can use their logos I would have it on my site above their description, however, I can just have their names typed.

Alex Watts :

You can't use their logos. They belong to them sadly.

Alex Watts :

You can use their names

Alex Watts :

And you can add a description.

Alex Watts :

You can use their logo if you have permission

Customer:

OK, so I can list as many business I want so long as I don't use their logo (unless I have their permission)?

Alex Watts :

But as a logo is likely to be their intellectual property and/or subject to Trademark you would be infringing on this if you use it without permission

Alex Watts :

But you can use the name no problem

Alex Watts :

Correct

Customer:

OK great

Alex Watts :

Customer:

Would their be anything I would need to worry about off the top of your head regarding creating this sort of business?

Alex Watts :

No, there is no problem with this. You can use their names without permission just not the logo

Customer:

OK Alex, that is the only question I had at the moment and I have received good news from you.

Customer:

Thank you for your help.