Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I am trying to sell my property but there is a land dispute

I am trying to sell my property but there is a land dispute about a piece of land at the bottom of my garden. 20feet x 8feet. I have already got a solicitor for selling my house and he is supposed to be sorting out me purchasing the piece of land that is currently owned by Taylor Wimpy. I have had access across and a garage built on the piece of land and have not been approached in the 20 years that it has been there. My solicitor is very reluctant to contact owners as he says they are very busy. its been 18 weeks since I accepted the offer on my house and about 7 weeks since land issue arose and now I may loose my buyer due to time lapse. We have already lost the bungalow that we were buying. Don't know what or where to go now.
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

May I ask roughly when you purchased your property please?

Joshua :

Is the disputed land enclosed with boundary structures (e.g. fences) or has it not been enclosed - I note that you mention a garage and access road

Customer:

When the housing estate was built approximately 23 years ago the builders where told they by the local authorities that they had to put us an access road to the rear of our property's so the council could put double yellow lines out the front. they built the road,put a footpath at the side of our property's with street lights and dropped curbs to access our property's. From the inside of the foot path to the nearest point of our property was approximately 8 feet of dirt. Three years later i had a new garage built up to the within 6 inches of the footpath.

Customer:

I purchased my property just over 30 years ago.