UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

, I am a french citizen living in UK yrs. My wife

Customer Question

I am a french citizen living in UK for 25 yrs. My wife is french too. Recently my parent's from Mauritius are having difficulties to look after themselves due to illnesses. Would I be able to ask for a visa for them either temporary and may be permanent ?
So who should I contact, or is there any forms that we have to fill up ?
And finally how much do u think that process will cost ?
Kind regards,
Jeff
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
Hello Jeff,
You may ask your parents to come over to the UK initially as visitors I.e. As your guests. They do not require a visa to do so for up to 6 months stay.
Once in the UK, they may change their minds and wish to continue living in the UK with You. They are allowed to do so if they are financially dependant on your or have a serious health condition and rely on you for their care. If so, they may apply for residence cards which are valid for 5 years and cost £55.
See here
https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-a-uk-residence-card/eligibility
Hope this helps
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your reply. The link you have sent is very helpful.

1. Does it matter that my parents are not French .. they hold Mauritian Nationality?
  2. They are not financially dependent on me but I do help towards their living cost - does this count and how would I go about proving this? I sometimes send money via bank transfer and sometimes via family members travelling over there.
  3. My dad is 81 yrs old and has started suffering from memory loss which is putting him at risk, as well as hypertension, diabetes and a mild form of Parkinson's disease. My mum suffers from severe OCD and is heavily dependent on my dad for all matters outside of the house like food shopping, paying utility bills, managing their finances etc. Are these classed as serious health conditions? Basically, if my Dad is no longer able to handle external activities, then my Mum will not be able to pick this up.
  4. Who decides if a condition is serious or not? Would they need to pay for tests and whatever else to prove a medical condition serious enough to warrant them being eligible to apply for the residence card?
  5. Whilst on holiday here, if either of them should need medical / hospital treatment, could they qualify for free treatment or would they have to pay for their treatment?
  6. If and when they obtain a residence card, then would they qualify for free medical treatment as we do (NHS and GP)?
  7. Would they need to remain here for 6 months as visitors before they could apply for residence card or can this be done shortly after they arrive?
  8. How long does it take to obtain a residence card?

Many thanks for your help and advice.

Jeff

Jeff,

Please ask your additional questions on a new question page asking forCustomeronly to answer.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You replied

17 February 2015 14:21 EST

Many thanks for your help and advice.

Jeff

Please post a new question afresh and pay again.