75100385

Employee from Bulgaria driving his car years over here

Customer Question

Employee from Bulgaria driving his car for 2 years over here Has had his car impounded as he hasnt changed his plates. Police are now trying to do him for No insurance though he has Bulgarian Insurance ( green card ) which is in date.But the police say its only valid for 6 months in this country . Is this correct? they have confirmed his Bulgarian insurance is ok but green card cant use after 6 months  Police want him to accept 6 points for this should he go to court. Hes currently in Police station so quick answer would help

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

Yes the Police are correct.

Alex Watts :

Indeed also if he does not have a UK licence it is illegal as well. If he is here for 12 months or more he needs a UK licence.

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :

JACUSTOMER-zdzbxvk8- :

So what i want to appeal against is the fact that the police are doing him for no insurance, even though he has insurance from Bulgaria for his car ( all paid up and confirmed by police) and that allows him to drive in the UK . So he cant use Bulgarian Insurance , but I can use UK insurance on my cars in Spain. This cant be right. Also he has a uk licience, What worries me with your answer is You are saying he needs a uk Licience after being in the UK for 12 months , he has one , but this statement is in correct unless the rules have changed since July 2014 when i contacted the DVLA and they said no need to change to uk licience for any of my drivers

JACUSTOMER-zdzbxvk8- :

My staff member spent 3 hours in the police station while they tried to confirm wether the states he was or was not insured, The 2 on the front desk thought he was, as did the Police at another station , but higher up the line they took the decision he wasnt. There must be something written down you can give me a link to

Alex Watts :

You can ONLY use Bulgaria insurance in the UK for a limited time.

Alex Watts :

Otherwise everyone could get insurance from abroad and use it here.

Alex Watts :

Generally it is valid for a limited time, but not beyond 6 months.

Alex Watts :

They only need a UK licence if they are in the UK for 12 months or more. Its an International licence. But from the DVLA

Alex Watts :

He can appeal.

Alex Watts :

It will go to Court. He will plead not guilty. Then the Court will decide whether you are correct or the Police are correct.

Alex Watts :

The Police will quote the law and you are likely to lose. There will be a fine, costs of about £500 and points.

Alex Watts :

I am sorry, but I have a duty to be truthful.

Alex Watts :

Does that clarify?

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/