Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

,I have a legal contract with a UK company to whom I have

Hi, I have a legal contract with a UK company to whom I have supplied software for, the contract was for a 12 month initial term duration and then continuing after that. There is a clause for termination that states "1.1 The Licensee may terminate the Licence at any time after the initial term by giving at least 3 months prior written notice to the Licensor." The initial term ends on the 1st April 2015, does that mean that they cannot give notice until after 1st May, or is it ok as the 3 months notice will then be after 1st May? Many thanks, Alan

Sorry, forgot to say that they gave me the 3 months notice to terminate yesterday.

Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

For the avoidance of doubt may I ask is the licensor (you or your company) also based in the UK please?

Customer:

Yes they are.

Joshua :

Thanks. Based on the terms you kindly provide the licensee can terminate the contract in three months from the date of their notice providing that the termination date cannot be before 1st April which in this case it would not be.

Customer:

Ok thanks.

Joshua :

They are able to serve their three months notice during the initial term (unless there is a specific provision that says they cannot which you do not mention) though any notice they give you cannot expire before the initial term

Joshua :

Is there anything above I can clarify for you?

Customer:

No that's fine, thanks for your help.

Joshua :

A pleasure. If I can assist any further as the situation develops please do not hesitate to revert to me

Joshua :

If you have no further questions for now I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to rate my service to you today. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me though