12826847

in July 2010 I was separated from my husband, well really I

in July 2010 I was separated from my husband, well really I left home with the help of police, I moved to a different town, closed bank accounts and opened new accounts in the Halifax building society, I explained my situation to the Halifax, I had one account joint that I could not close as it was a joint account. Three months later my husband was able to change my details on my account my correspondence address, I was not notified of this. my husband was then able to find me and sabatarged my car which could have caused me to have a fatal accident. I had to move town again. I complained to the Halifax at the time, they passed me on to the ombudsman, I was offered £100, I felt this was an insult, I was very frightened and isolated, I am now well and wondered if I could take this claim up for compensation for a more appropriate offer
yours sincerely
janet
I am sorry but it is not particularly good news.
Come what may, you suffered no quantifiable loss. The Ombudsman made them make an offer to cover essentially good business. It was a good offer and I'm afraid should have been accepted if your goal was to achieve compensation.
Since you suffered no loss there is no claim that can be brought in court. Had he got access to your account and stolen, for instance, £10k then your claim would have been £10k plus costs and interest. Thankfully that didn't happen. This was essentially just a data protection issue.
I'm sorry but I can only give you truthful information.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

so really it does not matter that the damage to my car and the fact I had to move was due to him accessing my account and finding out my address, this all cost me and they did not inform me of change of details, janet

They are not responsible for the damage to your car or for his choice to access your account.
They are potentially responsible for the discovery of your address. That is a data protection issue though and £100 would have been a legitimate offer I'm afraid.