Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My sister has died, I am her next of kin temporarily. My sisters

Customer Question

My sister has died, I am her next of kin temporarily. My sisters daughter has been found and is asking for the key to my sisters house. As I was given the key by the police after the coroner gave the go ahead for me to have it, should I take the key back to the police station. So far no will has been found, therefore if the estate goes to probate it is they who will decide who the properties go to I presume. Sorry that's two questions.
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

As the Police have been involved, you should return the key to them to avoid any conflict.

If there is no Will, then as you may know, your sister's daughter is entitled to apply to be Administrator of the Estate (she would have to apply for Letters of Administration, which is th esame as Probate but the wording given where there was no Will) and on the basis that she is the only child, she would be entitled to the whole Estate, I'm afraid.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if I can be of any more assistance.

Kind Regards

Al

Hi Patricia,

Can I assist you any further?

Kind Regards

Al