75100385

We are making a visa application. The question asks you to

We are making a visa application. The question asks you to answer whether you have ever been convicted of a crime. My husband was arrested in 2008, his case was referred to magistrates court we have just had a copy of the 'memorandum of a conviction entered in the registrar of the magistrates court' which states the offence but notes under the 'minute of adjudication' as 'information or complaint withdrawn'. Does this mean there was a conviction made or would the correct answer be that he has not had a conviction (but clearly has an arrest record which shoes up as no live trace on the ACRO form? With thanks in anticipation ?
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

Just to be clear, was he ever found guilty or convicted?

Customer: He was caught with a small amount of cocaine. According to the MPS report he was bailed and then upon return on bail was charged with one count of possession (239mg). It then says he may no reply to caution and was bailed to the magistrates court. We have now just received the memorandum of a conviction entered into the register and the minute of adjudication which reads that the information or complaint was withdrawn.?
Alex Watts :

If it was withdrawn then it appears he was not prosecuted.

Alex Watts :

Therefore you can tick 'no' when it comes to a conviction

Alex Watts :

Customer: Great thanks. I assume as the visa application calls for a police certificate and that certificate indicates no live trace which is indicative of an arrest record then they may ask for further details of that arrest record anyhow.
Alex Watts :

All the UKBA want to know is if there is a convction.

Alex Watts :

There is no conviction

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/