12826847

I am a UK national resident in the UK. I recently was

Customer Question

Hello I am a UK national resident in the UK. I recently was persuaded to join a self proclaimed Californian school which is in fact merely a business for a one year period of self growth coaching. It was by monthly subscription and payments were taken on my credit card. I say were because I finally got fed up with it - I was paying a substantial amount for podcasts which are also available free of charge (!) as radio broadcast. I told the administrator I would be ending my subscription and instructed the credit card company to refuse payments. The credit card company obliged. I next received an invoice for the 'remaining months' saying that they were giving me a discount but I was obliged to pay. I replied that I was not, it is my right as a consumer to stop a subscription especially if I feel that the service is below standard. They have threatened legal action. The sum is not a huge one, about $1500 but I still don't feel like throwing it away . Realistically what are the chances of payments being enforced? I do not live in the US. Can anyone advise on this? Also is it legal for a business to call themselves a school without having a college or school status? Many thanks Customer

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
Did you sign any terms and conditions committing you to one year?
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi and thank you for picking up my question. I have now decided to settle as they have offered me a discounted settlement fee so I will no longer need an answer to this question, apologies for the inconvenience I was about to delete it
Best regards
Customer