UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I am owed £38,000 pounds of personal debt from my ex-partner

Customer Question

I am owed £38,000 pounds of personal debt from my ex-partner if 3 years. We have a written agreement between ourselves that he will maintain payments of £3,000 per month until the debt is paid off. I am wanting to get an official agreement written up with a solicitor for my own price of mind, as my ex-partner has proven to be dishonourable with his agreements in the past.
He is a Welsh citizen, I am an Australian citizen, is it possible to get the agreement with a solicitor in London? Or is it more beneficial to get a solicitor in Wales?
Also, I have been informened that once he has legally acknowledged his debt to me, I am able to get a hold put on his property he owns, so he will not be able to sells it etc until his debt to me is settled. I think this may be called a Caveat? Is this possible?
Thank you so very much for your assistance and information.
Kindest Regards, *****
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.

Yes, it is possible to get an acknowledgement of debt/loan agreement drawn up by a Solicitor in London. England and Wales is a single legal jurisdiction, so it would not really be beneficial to get a Welsh solicitor draw up the document and at the same time, it would not be detrimental.

It depends on the legal fees you are able to negotiate with a solciitor in London and compare this with the fees of the solicitor in Wales.

Even before the above document is drawn up and signed, you may now lodge a unilateral notice or an agreed notice at the Land Registry against his property, see here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/notices-restrictions-and-the-protection-of-third-party-interests-in-the-register/practice-guide-19-notices-restrictions-and-the-protection-of-third-party-interests-in-the-register--2

You may wish to consult a local conveyancer to assist you with the filing of the notice at the Land Registry.

Hope this helps