12826847

Good morning. 3 years ago my partner and I sold our house

Customer Question

Good morning.
3 years ago my partner and I sold our house (after having been together only 2 years) and I was given 20% (£50k) of the net proceeds. However, I moved back in to a rented property with him 8 months later, and felt guilty about this money, so gave him back £30k, which he put into premium bonds 'for us', and later cashed them in and bought a brand new holiday home on the North Norfolk coast, which we rented out last year. Sadly we split up again last month, and although we remain very good friends, and I'm helping with the holiday bookings, he has not offered to return any of the £30k. I have in effect left with nothing from the 6 years we spent together, and towards which I contributed every month from my salary.
I have no intention of going back again, but would appreciate some of the money that was legally mine, but which I returned to him.
Am I legally entitled to request some of it back please?
Jan Scott
Why did you feel guilty about the money?
Whose name is ***** ***** property in?
How much is it worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare

The house was bought for cash by John. I didn't put a financial contribution into the purchase of the house.

I felt guilty because the money that he had, was from his marriage of 35 years to his wife, who died a few years before we met, and I felt as we had got back together, I couldn't have this money in my bank account as it had only been his kindness that led to me having it in the first place.

The holiday home is not in joint names, just his.

The original house, as I said, was sold, so there is no mortgage remaining on that, or the holiday home. Both were bought for cash.

Jan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.