Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

My daughter cancelled her gym membership in October 2014 with

My daughter cancelled her gym membership in October 2014 with 1 month's notice but is now being pursued for recovery of debt, including threat of CCC.
She received no communications from the gym company about this until 2nd Febsaying debt had been passed to ARC as a bad debt. Now had letter from a solicitors threatenening CCC.
She has a copy of the letter she sent. Problem is she is in France until end April as working a ski season.
Help! Can I act on her behalf? What should we do?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
If you are certain she has given the one month notice what I suggest you do is write to them in the following terms:
- Deny any money is due and owing;
- Say that the last months notice was served and paid in full (if you have anything - send them the written notice to terminate that you originally sent);
- Say to them that what they are doing is unlawful harassment under S.40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970 which is criminal offence;
- Say if they continue to pursue you, you reserve the right to either:
(i) Report them to the police;
(ii) Complain to Trading Standards www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/ and the SRA;
(iii) Go to the press detailing the unlawful and heavy handed debt collection process.
If they still pursue you, you will have to defend any CC claim, because it is their prerogative if they want to bring one, but I would then still complain to Trading Standards.
In terms of writing on behalf of your daughter - can she either respond by email or send a letter from France. This would be much easier than signing a power of attorney as she would still have to go and get the PoA witness somewhere.
I look forward to hearing from you.
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks Alex

that's very clear

many thanks

Wendy

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
No problem.
I wish you the best of luck.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can assist any further.
AJ