I gave my niece 3000£ to keep when I was having a problem

I gave my niece 3000£ to keep for me when I was having a problem with my husband but when I asked her to give the money back last year she said she had spent it but will pay back in January 2015 but when I asked her in January she said she had no cash and now I cannot get hold of her by email or by phone.
Please help.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : When you lent the money was anything in writing please?

Sorry for delay Alex and no there was nothing in writing but she has not denied receiving the cash

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:

Thanks Alex I will write and let you know how it goes.

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience