UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My company provides IT support services to a local business.

Customer Question

My company provides IT support services to a local business. 6 months ago the contract was signed by the IT Engineer for IT support on a 5 year term and was also verbally agreed by the business finance manager, they paid the first years support in full. The employee (IT Engineer) has now left the business and the finance manager is trying to get out of the contract only 6 months in because our company is a family friend of the IT Engineer, so worries now he has left that we wont carry on providing a good service. The finance manager is now also claiming that the contract was signed by the IT Engineer who didn't have permission to sign on behalf of the business. Is this contract still legally binding? They paid the 1st year in full and the IT Engineer signed the contract and the finance manager who does have permission to sign for the company verbally agreed to the contract over the phone. Is this contract still enforced?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
Yes, the contract is legally binding and may be enforced in the courts.
The fact that the finance managed orally agreed to the terms of the contract and the fact that they made payment for the first year under the contract shows that they agreed to the contract, even if the IT engineer was not authorised to enter into it.
May I help further?