12826847

, Im wondering if you may be able to give me some advice

Customer Question

Hi, Im wondering if you may be able to give me some advice please? I was previously a solicitor however I have not practiced for around 7 years. I have considered renewing my practice certificate. I have been in touch with the Law Society who regulated me when practicing. This has since changed to the SRA. The SRA have no records of me as a solicitor or ever qualifying, I find this disturbing and do not know what to do, having spent over 5 years qualifying which included my degree and LPC and 10 years in the legal profession.
Do you still have your original certificate signed by the Master of the Rolls?
Do you have anything with your Law Society number on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare

No I don't have any documents anymore as these were lost in a house fire. I did go into lecturing and have been trying to make enquiries with the establishment I taught at to see if they still have copies of my certificates as I can remember providing these to prove that I was a qualified Solicitor and therefore suitable to teach law. If they don't have these then all paper trails have been lost.

When did you qualify?
Where did you do your Law Finals?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I qualified in 1999 and studied at Nottingham Trent University, I finished my training contract in 2001.

What exactly did the Law Society say about their records when you spoke to them?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

They told me that all of my records were transferred from them to the SRA in 2007/2008. I stopped practicing in or around February 2008 so they felt that there must be an administration error in that my records were not transferred over correctly or my details were inputted incorrectly by the SRA. The SRA have no record of me. They also say that where I did my training contract should be registered by the SRA however, they cannot find a record of this. I have started an investigation via the SRA but they have already checked all databases they hold and cannot find me. I informed the Law Society of this but they said my only recourse is through the SRA and not them.

Wonderful system.
What about the firm you worked for?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The Firm I worked for have said that the Department I worked in was closed down and the Partner of that Department has since left the Firm so not very helpful at all.

But they will have employment records?