12826847

I bought a fiat van pounds and it broke down after

Customer Question

I bought a fiat van for 1395 pounds and it broke down after 6 days , do I have any grounds for them to pay for any of the repairs??
Was this a private sale?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No from a garage

If it is a garage sale then the Sale of Goods Act applies to it. Therefore you do have a right to demand that it be fit for purpose. That doesn't mean perfect but it does mean reasonably good with reference to the age and price.
£1395 is not the most expensive van obviously. However, on the whole I do think it is reasonable to expect that it last more than 6 days.
Unless this fault is one that they specifically pointed out to you at the time of sale and warned you about it would seem to be their liability.
I'm not sure why they say they are not liable. Unless you have conceded that you have done something to the van after the purchase date I cannot see how they can avoid responsibility for this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So I have a right to get the AA to take it back to the garage and ask for them to pay at least half the bill to fix it am right in thinking this,

On the face of it, you do have the right to demand a repair at least.