Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

i had a verbal agreement with a builder to sell a house he

i had a verbal agreement with a builder to sell a house he bought and renovated he purchased it for £320.000 & sold it to a person i new for £420.000 we agreed he would give me £2000 for giving him the buyer so avoiding going to an estate agent and paying them £6000 when it all went through he said we had nothing in writing so he is not going to give me the agreed commission is there anything i can do about this i do have a text from him stating he is not going to give me the agreed £2000 as he did not make as much profit as he wanted
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

On the basis of the Builder's assurance to you that he would pay you commission, there is really only one way forward-

You would have to sue him at the small claims court for a sum of the outstanding rent amount. He can issue here without the requirement of a Solicitor, to keep costs to a minimum. The fact nothing was put in writing is irrelevant, as oral agreements are still legally binding,although I must say that if he denies it, it will be a case of your word against his. I do note you have a text as evidence, so please keep this!

Here is the link to issue proceedings, which can be do online-

www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

Before doing so, you should probably send them a letter before action though first. Write to them giving them 14 days to pay and make clear that if they do not then you will sue. Hopefully, the letter will be enough to make him see sense and pay the outstanding commission. If he does not then issue at the small claims court.

Hope this helps and sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards

Al

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i am happy with your reply apart from you worded it outstanding rent it was nothing to do with rent it was just a commision he would pay me if he sold to the buyer i supplied

thanks Brian

Hi Brian- sorry, I did of course mean commission.

Kind Regards

Al

Hi Brian,

Can I assist you any further?

Kind Regards

Al