29905560

help..I had a head injury...they cut off half my hair..no where

Customer Question

help..I had a head injury...they cut off half my hair..no where near the injury..I WANT TO SUE THEM
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Who cut your hair off?

JACUSTOMER-8o24tpkc- :

I doctor in Guersey....without a wound..the main head injury was up the top of head....Im not happy as I have long blonde hair..or did have....I want to sue the flippin Doctor!

JACUSTOMER-8o24tpkc- :

are you still there Ben?

JACUSTOMER-8o24tpkc- :

damn...ill try someone else!

Ben Jones :

Hi, I'm afraid I was offline at 1am when you replied to my initial query. Do you rely on your looks for a living, for example are you a model, etc?

JACUSTOMER-8o24tpkc- :

No..not a model now, used to be!Too old now....sorry but I'm not sleeping at the moment.There was no reason to hack half my hair off..in fact it's too short for extensions.There is NO wound where they chopped me.As I said before the wound is 5 inches at the top of my head, not the side....and they used glue rather than stitches. My parents are Doctors and said I wound that long should not have been glued.This has cost me a fortune, in and out of hospital when the wound starts bleeding..again.They charge £200 for admission, plus the Air med which I've been told is thousands.Would you like half a head of hair and live in a hat?

Ben Jones :

Whilst I understand that this would have been quite a distressing episode for you, legally your options are rather limited and you cannot just sue them for what has happened. The law does not just allow you to sue anyone you want for something which you believe was wrong – you have to show that some losses have been incurred or you have been injured. Cutting off someone’s hair is not a personal injury – it grows back and is not permanent damage. So you cannot rely on personal injury laws for this. You cannot also sue just because you have been left disappointed or because you have been distressed by this – that is not covered by law I’m afraid. As to other options for suing, you need to show you have suffered losses – that is why I asked if you depend on your hair for a living, because by not having it then you could have argued that your earnings were affected and you could sue for loss of earnings, but if this has no effect on your earnings then you can’t sue for that either. Finally, you must consider whether the doctor can defend their actions and if it is a reasonable excuse. What were the reasons for their actions, was it complete negligence, or were they justified in some way, for example the hair was too long and getting in the way and for safety reasons it had to be removed, but all of this is irrelevant if you cannot show a personal injury or other losses – these are the only ways you can sue the doctor in these circumstances.

Hope this clarifies your position? If you could please let me know that would be great, thank you

JACUSTOMER-8o24tpkc- :

My parents are Docters....check the xray and ct scan..my head should have been stitches....not glue, as we speak it's leaking again my head is leaking again..hosptail again..and £200..SOD THE DOCTOR..MY HEAD IS KILLING ME,and my hair has gone for no reason...I am going to court...i have been to;told by Chippy an friend of my parents..he is an top Doctor from London.OK the skin is thin on the top of my head.............BUT WHY CHOP MY HAIR OFF WITH NO WOUND.

Ben Jones :

don't confuse the rights you have with the medical assistance you received and the chopping of the hair - they are entirely separate. You may have grounds to sue for medical negligence which is fine, but it does not mean you can also sue for the removal of the hair and as explained it is highly unlikely you can sue for that unless you can show it was ether a personal injury (which it is not) or you have actually suffered losses as a result. Can you show that?

JACUSTOMER-8o24tpkc- :

yes..I can prove it...my head is still bleeding...my Bengal was on the first step of the stairs..she is tiny..I dried to step over her..when you pay £600 for a cat, and love her to bits..check with Aurigny on my charter.Dave was my pilot.Off to the flippin hospital again.My parents are furious

Ben Jones :

ok but what are you able to prove - that you have suffered losses as a result of having your hair cut off - that is what I am referring to?

JACUSTOMER-8o24tpkc- :

yes...there was no wound where they chopped my hair

Ben Jones :

ok ...so what are the losses?

Ben Jones :

what financial losses have you suffered as a result?

JACUSTOMER-8o24tpkc- :

my hair...I have long blonde hair...half now

Ben Jones :

that is not a financial loss - your hair will grow back, it is not a permanent loss, you cannot claim for loss of hair alone

Ben Jones :

you must show you have actually suffered financial losses

Ben Jones :

if you can't then you can't sue for that

JACUSTOMER-8o24tpkc- :

rubbish..my hair will take months to growth...and yes my Advocate has said I can sue

Ben Jones :

he may have said you can sue for the medical aspect, for example the incorrect or negligent treatment of the wound, but that is not linked to being able to sue for the loss of hair. am telling you what the law requires and s you cannot show it then yu will not be able to sue for it, I can promise you that now but if you want to go ahead then you are of course welcome to but you will be left disappointed

JACUSTOMER-8o24tpkc- :

Thankyou for your help....you try living with no hair..especially after being a model for 10 years

Ben Jones :

I am not saying it is easy but it does not mean you can just sue for it - I can't make up laws to make it look better than it actually is I'm afraid, all I can say is what is available to you

JACUSTOMER-8o24tpkc- :

I live in Alderney, the channel Islands....what can you do to help?You see my hair and you would understand..I have lost my hair and I have a bleeding head..like I said my parents are Doctors...and they are fuming

JACUSTOMER-8o24tpkc- :

They cant fly me....I want to go home and my Father will kill the Docter!

Ben Jones :

yes I would be fuming to, but what I think you don't understand is that just because this has happened it does not mean you can sue them for the loss of the hair - just because we feel that we should have the right to sue someone for something it does not mean that we actually can and in the circumstances unless you can show FINANCIAL LOSSES because you have lost your hair, then you cannot sue, it's really that simple

JACUSTOMER-8o24tpkc- :

no,you are flipping wroung....YES I CAN.....there was no wound where they cut my hair...

Ben Jones :

ok then best of luck - but I am telling you the law, after all I am the lawyer and you have come here for a professional opinion, but it appears you know the law better so there is no further need for my advice

JACUSTOMER-8o24tpkc- :

Thankyou....ambulance here ..my baby gengals..

JACUSTOMER-8o24tpkc- :

bleedind

JACUSTOMER-8o24tpkc- :

yes....mel is the med head person

Ben Jones :

ok but this has no relevance to the legal position for the removal of the hair so I will leave this conversation as I cannot assist any further and have made your position clear