How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question

UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I am a UK citizen based in Australia and spend the Northern

Customer Question

I am a UK citizen based in Australia and spend the Northern Hemisphere Summer in Europe.
In September 2011, I purchased a British registered sailing boat. The boat was located in France, but transaction was in UK. It is registered under the Small Ships Register in UK as a 1986 manufactured boat.
The boat was advertised as a 1986 model. I subsequently found out from the manufacturer that it was actually a 1981 model – I have letter from manufacturer confirming this.
I have bill of sale and photograph of advertisement stating it is 1986 model.
Whilst I have no firm proof the vendor knew the real age, his behaviour suggests he did – he was very reluctant to pass on historical details of boat and went to ground when I informed him of real age.
The difference in value between 1081 and 1986 model is around £6,000.
Do I have any legal recourse?
Peter Hodson
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
Hello Peter,

Yes, you do have legal recourse against the vendor on the grounds of misrepresentation and you may claim for the 6,000 pounds difference or you may return the boat to the vendor and ask for your money back.

I would suggest that you get in touch with the vendor and point out the misrepresentation, the actual age of the boat and ask for your remedy to be fulfilled within say 14 days or you will take legal action.

If the vendor fails to do anything, you may file a court action against him in the UK, if he is based there.

May I help further?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


Thanks for that. What would the cost be to file a court action? Is this something you/your practice would be interested in?

I will get in touch with vendor first, but I suspect he will ignore it.


Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
Hello Peter,

Unfortunately we are not allowed to represent customers of this site but you may find a solicitor here using the online Law Society search portal:

Court fees are set out here:

All the best

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions