Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I parked my car at a private car park at 11.20 am whilst I

I parked my car at a private car park at 11.20 am whilst I went to a chemists to leave a prescription - I reckon I was about 5 minutes in the car park. I then drove to a Supermarket about 1 1/2 miles away to do the weekly shopping which I paid for at 11.51. After packing my shopping in the car boot I drove back to the car park to pick up the prescription from the chemists which was about 12.08 pm. As with the first visit I was about 5 minutes in the car park before driving off. The Car Park notice states "Free car parking for 20 minutes, no return within 15 minutes". I have been issued with a Parking Charge Notice requiring me to pay £100 for parking my car from 11.20 am till 12.09 pm. I still have my Receipt for the purchase of my shopping at the Supermarket timed at 11.51 am some 1 1/2 miles away and my credit card showed the payment goods purchased at the Super Market on that day but there is no time stated. I will be pleased to receive your advice on what action I can take. Thank you, ***** ***** Tel: 0115(###) ###-####or *****@******.***.
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Please be rest assured that you are not liable to pay any charge and certainly don't send them the £100. Although these private Companies threaten debt collection and Court action, they are never successful in any such proceedings provided the other party defends matters and nor are they legally entitled to demand any payment from you even if you have contravened the parking regulations.

From what you say, you have not even contravened the parking regulations in the car park, and you therefore need to write to them to appeal the fine, setting out the nature of your visits and evidence that you left and returned at the times stipulated by you.

I attach a link to the Money Saving Expert website, which has plenty of information on how to appeal.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/parking-ticket-appeals

I hope this assists and sets out the basic legal position.

In the meantime, please do not even think of paying the fine. A similar thing happened to me a few months ago and I successfully appealed my fine. Unfortunately, these Companies rely on the public just to pay up as sadly not many people know the law surrounding private parking fines (not that you have even breached "their rules" anyway.

Kind Regards

Al

Hi Janet,

Can I assist you any further?

Kind Regards

Al

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No thank you for your guidance - you have supplied me with sufficient information to reply to the Parking Charge Notice. I wish to close my account as I hope I will not ever need your assistance but, at 80 years of age, I will kept details of the service especially as this is the first time in 60 years of driving that I have had any problems! Thank you,

Janet Belfitt

Hi Janet,

Thanks and good luck.

If you are happy with my answer, I would be grateful if you could leave positive feedback.

Kind Regards

Al