UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My wife is Northern Irish and I am looking to

My wife is Northern Irish and I am looking for leave to remain in the UK or at the very least in the EU, as I am a non-EU citizen (Russian). I have applied for the UK Spouse Visa but the criteria is quite tough to meet. As my wife can claim to be both Irish and British (at the moment she only has UK-Passport) is there a way for me to obtain leave to stay in Southern Ireland and then be legal in the UK as well?

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.

Your wife may renounce her British Citizenship so that she only remains with Irish Citizenship. She should apply for an Irish passport to prove this.

Once this is done, and she is exercising treaty rights in the UK (e.g. working in NI), you may apply for a residence card using form EEA2.

I am not an Irish lawyer and you will have to consult one separately to see how you can reside in the Republic, as I can only advise on UK immigration law.

May I help further?