Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My son and daughter in law moved into a house in May 2010 which

My son and daughter in law moved into a house in May 2010 which is shared ownership, having purchased 25% of the property. They would then be asked to pay rent on a monthly basis. Since that date they have never been asked to pay rent or service charges, despite us contacting them on numerous occasions. I contacted the company myself in April last year, and asked for them to sort out the problem as my daughter in law was making herself ill regarding the outstanding rent arrears, and I was told that they could only go back and claim 18 months Rent anyway. This matter has still not been resolved. Could you please advise where my son and daughter in law stand in this situation, as although they have some money saved, they don't have 5 years worth of rent.
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Under the Limitation Act 1980, the Housing Association are entitled to claim back 6 years worth of rent, I'm afraid. However, as they have told you they will not pursue any rent over 18 months old, I would hope that as a gesture of goodwill, they will keep to their word on this.

I hope this clarifies the legal position to you.

Kind Regards

Al