75100385

Our builders has gone about 8 inches over the boundary line

Customer Question

Our builders has gone about 8 inches over the boundary line for bulding work we had done which means it is partly on our neighbour's land.Our neighbour has raised the issue with us. Where do we stand legally?
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

For now please let me know if the neighbour would sell you that small bit of land?

JACUSTOMER-z8bbpjxj- :

Hello Alex

Alex Watts : Hello
JACUSTOMER-z8bbpjxj- :

My neighbour seemed more intent on us moving it off his land.In any case if he did agree to this I wondered what the cost involved would be be. I just wondered if the builder could be made liable to rectify this.

Alex Watts : Yes the neighbour can get a court order to get you do remove the structures that are over the line.
Alex Watts : you can get the builder to do this at no cost to you, because the builder has been negligent
Alex Watts : So yes the builder is liable
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
JACUSTOMER-z8bbpjxj- :

The work involved bricking up an old lean at the back of the house the builder is saying that he used the same area as the lean.I dont know how this can be proven.In any case should the builder not be aware of the boundary line.

Alex Watts :

Yes the builder should be. He is the expert, not you

JACUSTOMER-z8bbpjxj- :

Thank you we will take this up with the builder. Just wanted to know however where we would stand legally if he refused to do this or is there some legislation relating to this?

Alex Watts :

If he refused this is breach of contract pursuant to Section 13 of the Sale and Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

JACUSTOMER-z8bbpjxj- :

Many thanks for this.

Alex Watts :

Thank you. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, the button should be at the bottom of the screen\

Alex Watts :

If you need more help please click reply

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello again

I just wondered the best way forward with this. Should we approach the builder and tell him verbally or does this need to be done in writing.He has already told us that we would need to pay him if we need the work rectified.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello again

Yes ask verbally and if not ask a Solicitor to write to him.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much.

Happy to help!