UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My neighbour has sent a note demanding that I cut some trees

My neighbour has sent a note demanding that I cut some trees down, to fence height, between our two properties, 1 conifer and two deciduous trees. I have spoken to the Tree Officer at Hastings Borough Council and he has advised that I don't have to do anything and that, providing the branches or foliage doesn't overhang my neighbours garden I can grow them to whatever height I like. Although in it self this note isn't onerous at this stage, eighteen months ago, he kept demanding that I cut down the deciduous trees, when I ignored him, he chopped them down while I was away. The Police confirmed that he shouldn't have done so, but as we had no proof that he did it I couldn't do anything about it. I like the trees because they afford me privacy from his garden.
Terri Coombs 01424 853384
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
Hello Terri,

You have been advised correctly.

Unless your branches or trees are "trespassing" into your neighbour's property, you do not need to cut them back.

You may write a polite reply saying you have taken legal advice, consulted the local authority and regrettably, there is no legal obligation on you to cut them back and that you do not intend to do so and one of your reasons for not cutting them back is that you wish to maintain your privacy.

May I help further?

May I help further?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your response, I am delighted that you have confirmed the information I have received.

Although this chap has always wanted things his way, since my husbands death, almost 4 years ago, his harassment and bullying has escalated and I just wanted to be sure I was in the right.

Terri Coombs

Thank you. Please call the police if you feel threatened by him.

All the best. Please leave feedback