29905560

Can a retail company refuse to serve me?

Customer Question

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Do you know why they may be refusing to serve you?

Ben Jones :

Hi, not sure if you saw my initial query above - do you know why they may be refusing to serve you?

JACUSTOMER-dhg1f0um- :

No. They've told me that they were out of stock (for 2 months) then that I would receive them forthwith. My doctor told me that they were accusing her of not being a doctor. She replied with her certificates. Other people have made many complaints on the net.

Ben Jones :

I am afraid it is entirely possible for a company to refuse to serve you. A company, just as any retailer, can choose who they serve and who they do not. There is no legal right to be served or be allowed to be a customer of a company. Let’s take for example a shop – you can go in and try to make a purchase but if they do not want to serve you they are not obliged to. They can refuse to allow you to purchase anything from them, even if you have done nothing wrong. It may be morally wrong but it is not illegal. They cannot base their decision on discriminatory grounds, such as because of your race, gender, nationality, etc but as long as these are not the reasons behind their decision then they are allowed to choose who they serve. So unless you can show that the reasons for their decision are discriminatory you cannot force them to serve you.

I hope this clarifies your position? If you could please quickly let me know that would be great, as it is important for us to keep track of customer satisfaction. Thank you