13262538

My daughter married a man in Mexico in a civil ceremony two

Customer Question

My daughter married a man in Mexico in a civil ceremony two years ago then a month later married the same man in church in England he is Mexican and she English. When asked if she had been married before she said no as thought it meant only if to a different man not the same! Which marriage is legal she would like the English certificate to be the valid one by choice.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
The Mexican Marriage is recognised in the Uk and accordingly that is the date from which se was married.
The English "marriage" is technically Void - although the matter is academic in the circumstances as it actually makes no difference to her position
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How can we validate the English marriage eg divorce in Mexico to make English certificate valid. Also her husband wants to apply for a marriage visa right to remain in England etc which certificate do they produce Real muddle sorry
I am a little confused - what is wrong with the marriage having taken place in Mexico?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nothing wrong just if they apply for her husband to get a marriage visa to stay in England does it matter that they have an English and Mexican marriage certificate eg do they just show Mexican certificate for all future legal documents or is it better to divorce in Mexico making query making the English marriage certificate valued. Has my daughter unwittingly committed an offence by swearing an oath that she had not been married before for her husbands English marriage licene. She thought it meant had she ever been married to someone else
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have sent message waiting reply
No there is no reason to do that.
The Mexican Marriage Certificate should be used as evidence of the marriage - the English Certificate is simply a "Decorative Certificate"
Your daughter has no need to worry about what she did - but in fact she should have been honest with the Vicar /priest about the fact that she was already married
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thankyou so much can I email your answer to my daughter?
Of course you can