75100385

I am a non remunerated director of a company. To whom do proposals

I am a non remunerated director of a company. To whom do proposals originated by me and presented to the board belong?
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : For now please could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: I have in the past seven as a director of a company. I was not remunerated for this directorship. During my directorship I created and designed systems which I allowed the company to use without remuneration for their use. The company continues to use the systems and now claims ownership of all correspondence designs and sty stems created and originated by my self and demands return of all correspondence with the company on the basis that they were created during the directorship.
Alex Watts : Was there a Directors agreement at all?
Customer: No Directorship Agreement.
Alex Watts :

Did you ever licence it or say they could only use it for a limited time/use?

Customer: I did prepare and provide the company with a licence agreement. However, the company failed to accept or agree my proposed licence agreement.
Alex Watts :

So there was no licence agreement signed?

Customer: Yes
Alex Watts :

Its bad news I am afraid to say. If there was no licence agreement signed and you have brought it to the table, you sadly can not now stop them using it

Alex Watts :

This is because unless a contract was signed and you let them use it, it would be very difficult to now claim they had no right to to do

Alex Watts :

The proper way of doing it would have not let them use it unless there was a licence in place.

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :

Customer: I accept your answer unfortunately you have stayed off the path and not answered my original question. Which was can the company now claim ownership of my design documents, correspondence, manuals. Can they demand that I yield these up to them.
Alex Watts :

Can they demand the documents etc - no

Alex Watts :

They can use it, but they can't demand the design, manuals etc.

Alex Watts :

These all belong to you

Alex Watts :

Does that clarify?

Customer: Yes thank you does the same apply to correspondence originated by me.
Alex Watts :

That is correct.

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

Customer: Thank you and thanks for your continued and prompt responses. I would appreciate it if you could give me case references which support copyright ownership. Your assistance has been helpful and is appreciated.
Alex Watts :

The site is not designed for legal research as that can take many hours. But there is a free legal database you can search:

Alex Watts :

http://www.bailii.org/

Alex Watts :

There are Practioner ones but they are subscription based.

Alex Watts :

Does that clarify for you?