31090051

Scottish born testatrix dies resident (many years) in England

Customer Question

Scottish born testatrix dies resident (many years) in England with English Will. Surviving spouse but no issue. Marriage was post January 1974. If she is still of Scottish Domicile, would Jus Relicti apply to her moveable estate?
At present the terms of her will are unknown. No reason to expect problems re terms and spouse, but just curious.
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
All depends on what the will says about domicile and if the will is silent, what the facts and circumstances point to as regards domicile.
However, if it is the case that she is domiciled in Scotland, and it is decided to confirm the estate in Scotland, then the law of Scotland would apply and ius relicti would apply.
Happy to discuss further.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. What if probate is applied for in England and there is no estate in Scotland that would require any resealing?

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
If there is no estate in Scotland, the estate could competently be dealt with in England. However, as a Scots lawyer I can't advise on the technical issues of English probate law.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. No more questions at the moment. By the by, the charging system here is not at all clear. I don't know if I've signed up for a subscription or just a one-off payment or what.

Re the tip, I thought you would get a portion of whatever I paid.

I've willingly paid the £38 and don't want a continuing subscription,

Cheers, ***** ***** again.

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. Experts are not involved in the system but I'll ask customer services to reply to you.