Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

When a new conveyancing indemnity insurance policy is obtained

When a new conveyancing indemnity insurance policy is obtained to cover a risk does an old policy covering the same risk need to be cancelled?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

It is good practice to cancel the old policy, but it is not something us Solicitors would waste a lot of time trying to do, and it is not essential that any old policy is cancelled (sometimes a new policy is issued because the Seller has for example lost all record of the existing policy, and hence a new policy is taken out and the old policy is not cancelled).

I hope this assists but please let me know if you require any further clarification.

Kind Regards

Al

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks. Is this because of double insurance issues?

That is correct, although the claimant would be free to claim on either policy

Kind Regards

Al